Mexican president meets Infantino to discuss 2026 World Cup plans

Handout picture released By Mexican Presidency shows Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum talking to FIFA President Gianni Infantino at the National Palace in Mexico City on August 28, 2025. Mexico is co-hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup with US and Canada. (Photo by Handout / Mexican Presidency / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / MEXICAN PRESIDENCY / HANDOUT / " - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum met with FIFA chief Gianni Infantino on Thursday to discuss preparations for the 2026 football World Cup, which Mexico will co-host with the United States and Canada.
“I appreciate the visit of Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, to discuss the progress of the World Cup,” the president said in a post on social media, adding photos with the FIFA President and the tournament trophy.
Sheinbaum said the opening ceremony of the tournament will take place at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City on June 11, 2026.
“Remember that in Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey, 13 matches of the great sporting event will take place,” she added.
Infantino had already met with US President Donald Trump last week, who announced that the World Cup draw will be held on December 5 at the Kennedy Center in Washington.
Infantino, who has fostered close ties with the billionaire US president, brought the World Cup with him for the announcement and even let Trump get his hands on it.
The 2026 World Cup is being hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico next year, and Trump has made a big deal about it happening during his presidency.